<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

It used to be about the music, man. 

When I was younger, let's say grade eleven and up, I used to give a damn about music. Well about purchasing music.

By that time, I was angry at my friends for downloading music and burning it. I used to be really really pissed at one particular friend who just got all of the smashing pumpkins albums in a very short time. What I believed then, and still believe mind you, that you shouldn't get a lot of music all at once, because you have to give each single album the attention it deserves in order to fully enjoy it. A lot of the time this person wouldn't even know what the music it was that I put on, even though it was downloaded and burned for them!

When I first get a CD, as I walk away from the CD store, I put it in the CD player and give it a quick listen; I let the songs play for about 30 to 50 seconds each, unless I find a song that I simply adore. Then I further that listening experience by listening to it, and only listen to it (that means sitting in a chair and only listening). I always found songs that I didn't like, but knew that I'd like later.
An example of this is a Ben Folds Five song from What Ever and Ever Amen
called "Steven's Last Night in Town," that I hated the beginning of, so I never ever listened to it, 'til one day. Now I always turn to it first!

Anyway, This person burned all their music. They even had CDs that weren't even released yet. I thought that was blasphemous. I still think that way today.

I used to tell this person and try to persuade them to stop, but it never worked. I still think that CDs should be purchased, and I think downloading music is a good way of finding out new artists (hey, I never would have found Bright Eyes if I hadn't downloaded a few songs). But Downloading entire albums is kind of ripping off the artists, UNLESS! You don't have the money to purchase it. And not having the money doesn't mean that your saving your money for beer drinking and/or pot smoking and/or gambling and/or other activity that you think you "NEED" to have. Having no money actually means no money to me.

Now, I don't really try to force my opinions on other people (with this being the exception, because it is MY creative output, but I'm not really nagging at you or forcing you to read this), I don't really even state my opinion on this matter any more, because to me, trying to spread your belief system is very similar to missionary work, which I highly despise. Why can't poorer nations have schools without promising away their souls? I hate missionaries, I hate people armed with bibles knocking at your door, saying your going to hell if you don't read their big opinionated book. The thing about the bible, which I'll only get into briefly, is that it wasn't written when Jesus was alive at all. The stories contained within are only opinions of what happened, hence, all of the racism and sexism. Yeah yeah so here I go again.

I don't force my opinion because I think it would by hypocritical of me. I'm not here to change the world, I'm just here to live in it, and try to have a good time while I'm living it. hmm.
better years await us...rustedhalo

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?