<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 15, 2004

the music according to halo 

So here i am. I personally think it's too early to write, but that's coming from me, a guy who usually doesn't wake up before nine. What do i write about this morning? It's actually very nice to wake up early for a change. It's a nice feeling when morning rays collide with your eyes that aren't accustomed to it yet. The burning sensation, when your pupils retreat and get much smaller, makes you feel like your alive, dammit!

I've been thinking about the past a lot lately. It's funny to see myself then. In grade 9, i was this chubby, shy, weird looking kid who didn't say much of anything. In grade 10, i was much slimmer (because of work that summer), but i still didn't say much to anyone. I wonder when that transformation was, when i started to talk to people more. Adults and older people didn't seem so scary anymore, but i don't remember when i made this realization. It must have been a gradual thing.

My very first album that i ever bought was Green Day: Dookie on Cassette. My family didn't have much money, so i didn't receive a cd player until much later. Before Green Day, music wasn't a very big part of my life, and the only thing that i listened to was whatever my parents listened to. My mom was a big CCR fan, my father, a country music guy (older country music). So i didn't receive that influence from music makers such as Pink Floyd, beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones and the like.

From GreenDay, i went to Offspring (which i later lent it out and lost it, but that person gave me Nirvana: Unplugged instead), then i had a brief stint with KoRn, which was a strange twist. Then there was that one day that started the musical revolution for me. That was the first day that i listened to The Cure: Disintegration.

This album lead to many great things. My retro 80's days. I listened to a lot of stuff in those days. Depeche mode ( i was hugely in to them), New Order (love those discotheque beats), Psychedelic Furs (later Love Spit Love, these guys were so miserable!) and many other musicians.

After the 80's music was over for me, i dove into the Smashing Pumpkins and music like that. I started to get into indie bands lately. I've also been really saturated into this band Bright eyes (this guy's also really miserable!). Broken Social Scene really quenches my thirsty ears as well. The one band that i really liked and still like are the cure. Before the Cure, for me, it was like a musical dark ages. I suppose everyone's experience with music is like that, until you find one you can really base yourself to.

To me, i'm not really sure what's more important, hearing or seeing. If i suddenly went deaf, i'd go crazy from hearing myself think, all the time. Too much thinking is hazardous to your health. But, in turn, if i went blind, i couldn't do the other thing that i love: photography. hmm i hope i never lose either.

Out of all my experiences with music. I think i have a broad taste. I can listen to classical, to heavier stuff like rage against the machine, to the long vocal-less, minimalist tunes of Sonic Youth, to the beautiful melodies of Sigur Ros, to the sunny-Sunday morning music of Belle and Sebastian and to the ultra fast beats of The Mars Volta.

hmm. Sunday mornings are good for writing what you know. Well i didn't come out here to write a novel, so i guess i shall be off. This is rustedhalo, still in his pj's, signing off.
Better years await us rustedhalo

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?